10. "Twins! I've always wanted twins!"

This commonly received comment was emailed in by Kim, who said;

"It always makes my blood boil when someone says, 'Twins, I've always wanted twins!'. The commenter is usually a young girl who is most likely fantasizing about picking out matchy names and dressing them in the same adorable outfits.

I usually just smile and nod.  However, if you catch me on a particularly rough day, I've been known to reply 'no you don't. It is really hard.'

It is so much easier now that my boys are ten months old.  I haven't heard that comment in a while, but if I did now, I probably would reply;

'Maybe you will be as blessed as I am.'

I think Kim is quite right, I've had a fair few people say this one, and just earlier today I was chatting with another twin mum who said that her standard reply to this was "be careful what you wish for".

Funnily enough, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I did wonder at the 12 week scan if it might be twins, not in a serious way, but I suppose I was aware that it was a possibility.  However, having had a single baby, when it came to my second pregnancy it didn't once occur to me that that might be the case (despite all the some what obvious signs!).

I also think Kim hits the nail on the head, how we feel about these comments changes through time. What once was a sore subject, now becomes our favourite subject.

2 comments:

  1. StorytimemumJuly 20, 2012

    yup, school girls used to coo over the double buggy constantly!! but now out of the buggy, all they see is two nutter 4 yr olds on scooters and we don't attract that kind of wishful comment- can't think why!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit to thinking this one. I lost twins at 8 weeks and I guess it's pining for what I couldn't have. Don't think I'd say it to a twin mum though, lest she think I'm a bit of an idiot.

    ReplyDelete